Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Playing with Paper

At college we were forced go beyond our boundaries, we always had to try and stretch our imaginations, and create things that were unusual. Within reason, we were not taught a right and a wrong way – we had to experiment, and create new ways of doing things. I believe that this is the most wonderful way to create – Unfortunately, as we grow up, we lose a large part of our imagination, and we begin to confine ourselves to the limits set in place by reality and logic.



In our first year we did a project that was based on recycling, and for the most part, paper was the material of choice. I used paper mache to create a corset – which on a cold winters day, using my own torso, was not the most pleasant experience. I remember looking at all the pieces created by my class mates, and being amazed by the execution of such unique ideas. I was so lucky to be surrounded by such creative individuals, many of whom knew no limits – the environment was in itself so stimulating, and encouraged creativity, and limitless thinking.


Recently, I have spent a lot of time online, scouring various resources for paper related inspiration. I was absolutely astounded when I discovered Belgian artist and sculptor, Isabelle de Borchgrave. Following a visit to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York in 1994, Isabelle dreamed up paper costumes.







Images Isabelle de Borchgrave

 
How amazing is the attention to detail. Each and every fold, the fine texture of the lace, the movement of the ruffles…
I feel truly inspired once again – I want to push the envelope (pun intended), and create something beautifully unique. I want to test my imagination, and let go of all limitations.
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment